How to Safely Use Flea and Tick Products on Your Pet
Fleas and ticks are blood-sucking parasites that feed on your dog or cat. They not only cause discomforts but can be highly dangerous if left untreated. Hence, it is imperative to detect and get rid of them as quickly as possible.
There are flea and tick products that do the trick in treating and preventing fleas and ticks, and I believe we all know that. What is rarely known though, is how to safely use such products on canines and felines. Well, fret not, because we’re about to reveal those to you.
Safety Tips for Using Flea and Tick Products
- First things, read the product label carefully before using. If you’re having a hard time in comprehending what is written, then ask your vet to help you out.
- Continuing with the first point; make sure you read the label properly even though you have been using the product for a long period of time. It is necessary because directions and warnings on the label might have been altered.
- Some flea and tick products can solely be used only dogs and can be harmful to cats and vice versa. Thus, check the product properly before applying.
- Before using flea and tick products on your pregnant, lactating or weak pal, consult a vet. Don’t just go by your instincts (you could be wrong).
- Carefully examine your pet for any side effects especially if you’re using a particular flea and tick product on him for the very first time.
- If your pal is experiencing an adverse reaction to flea and tick products (mainly spot-on), immediately bathe your pet thoroughly to wash away the cream.
- If you have more than one pet, then make sure they’re kept apart while applying spot-on creams because they may lick each other’s bodies which may not only lower the effectiveness but can cause them internal problems.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water after applying the flea and tick product on your pal. It contains chemicals that are harmful to us humans and hence washing your hands are essential.
- Some flea and tick products are highly dangerous for puppies and kittens below a certain age. Again, reading the product label is very essential.
- Keep flea and tick products far from children’s reach.
Keeping these tips in mind is not only essential to maintain safety while using flea and tick products on your furry pal but also aids in the proper healing process. Keep yourself and your pet safe but utilizing the above-mentioned safety tips. Safety should be your topmost priority.